A death occurring at the Home if after the result of a long illness and although expected or unexpected is still distressing.
In such cases the deceased's doctor should be contacted in order for the death to be certified, if the death has occurred outside surgery hours or the deceased's doctor is unavailable it is ususal for another doctor to attend.
Once the doctor has attended, the deceased's family will be notified by the Manager / Deputy Manager / Officer in Charge of the Home. Families will be asked if they would like to visit the deceased within the Home.
The family will be asked in the appropriate manner of their preferred funeral director.
Later that day or the following day the doctor will issue a medical certificate which will give the cause of death, this will usually be made available for collection from the doctor's surgery and the medical certificate is required in order for the death to be registered. If the doctor attending is unable to ascertain the cause of death or the deceased has not been seen by a doctor within 14 days, the doctor will refer the deceased to the Coroner.
|Cruse Bereavement Care||0844 477 9400||website|
|Probate Helpline||0800 302 0900||website|
|Bereavement Guard |
to guard against uninvited marketing calls
|0800 781 0999|
• The Medical Certificate of the cause of death.
• The deceased's Medical Card or National Health Service Number if available.
• The deceased's date of birth, place of birth, marriage certificate if available.
• The date and place of death.
• The full name of the deceased and maiden name, where appropriate.
• The usual address of the deceased.
• The deceased's occupation and in the case of a woman who is married or widowed, the full name of her husband.
• Whether the deceased was receiving a Pension or Allowance from public funds.
• The date of birth of any surving spouse.
On completion of the registration the Registrar will issue you with the following:-
|•||A certificate for burial or cremation, this is a green form, which should be given to the Funeral Directors of your choice in order that the arrangements for the funeral can proceed|
|•||A Certificate of Registration of Death form (BD8). This is for Social Security purposes in order that payment of pensions & allowances can be cancelled.|